Friday, September 17, 2004

it's been 2 months

..since I left my job at the college. It's been 1 month since I arrived in Medicine hat. Therefore, it's been a 2 month break from the day-to-day stresses of maintaining an 8-4 schedule and trying to fit everything else in between. It's been 1 month since I've been in a traffic jam, had to pay for parking, been too concerned about being anywhere at any specific time, had to pay more than $7 to see a movie.

Yeah, Medicine Hat is going to work out just fine.

We're heading to Edmonton for a week, leaving Monday. It will be nice to see everybody (well, everybody that we can squeeze in, I think it will be a busy time, visiting-wise).

I have some potential opportunities coming up. I am meeting with the director of the Esplanade soon, to chat about what he'll be looking for in a technician, and whether or not that's even what I want to dedicate myself to, long-term, since I'm really not a performance-theatre technician by trade.

I also have a chance to be on the Esplanade AV installation crew, through my friends at All Star Show Industries, (with whom I worked often at the college. That would be a great experience, as installation is something I've been leaning towards for awhile.

I'm also going to do the Mukey thing (sounds gross, doesn't it?) and see if the government folks will pay for some retraining and skills upgrading. That's probably my main hesitation in accepting another AV job on a full-time basis at this stage, even if one were to come along. This will probably be a unique opportunity for me to stay on this largely stress-free break from the working world, plus take some classes and learn some skills I wouldn't otherwise have the time or money (or energy) to take. If I can take some courses, say an IT certfication of some kind, that would supplement the 9 years of experience I have in AV, and in a college environment, that should lead to something marketable, right? Especially in a city that has lots of oil and gas companies.

For now, I'm quite enjoying the holiday. I highly recommend it, if you have the means.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Part of me actually does feel guilty, but I can't say it isn't a good feeling. The last time I had 3 months off because of my cracked vertabrae, and it wasn't nearly as pleasant. I hope to stretch this out the the full 31 weeks if I can. :)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Toasty said...

Hrrrrm, the fun does wear off after a while. At 9 months I was ready to kill someone. But I had also learned very effectively how to fill a day with absolutely nothing.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Michael Joyal said...

And that is how I became addicted to Farscape.

Even though I am doing teh schooling thing, I do feel like this is one really long break. Not having a boss is great and I wonder how getting a job come end of February will feel.

But for now I will enjoy this.

I hope the 2600 I spend of my own for school will balance the equation come tax time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home