Monday, September 13, 2004

oh sure,

I leave Edmonton and these guys finally decide to do their festival. I missed the first one in 2002, but heard that it was pretty cool. I was all hyped up last summer to attend and even volunteer for the 2003 version, but they seemed plagued by disorganization, poor advertising, and, if I might say so, delusions of grandeur.

Not only did they announce the dates and schedule of all their films, they announced a venue before they had signed the papers (The recently-closed Paramount Theatre on Jasper Ave). Their big fundraiser, advertised only on their own website, drew less than 20 people. I maintained contact with them, hoping to help out in some way, but e-mails went unanswered after the initial contact. I was willing to try and get them into the college's conference theatre, if it would get the festival running.

On their webiste and forums, they blamed everyone but themselves. Edmonton, the fans, you name it, it was their fault, not the organizers.

It's too bad, as they had some impressive films lined up, from Japanese gore-schlock like Battlefield Baseball to the indy hit Bubba Ho Tep. I was quite looking forward to the experience, but alas, it was rescheduled, then cancelled, then attention devoted to running in Calgary and Detroit (which, to my knowledge, didn't happen either). I had given up on them, and wondered how they managed to pull it off in the first place.

Well, they're back, with a new format and new venue, and I hope they pull it off, though I'm unsure about the decision to run in a nightclub. It won't entice me to make the trip, if I'm not gurarnteed a seat, even a beat-up, uncomfortable, old theatre seat.

Time will tell...

2 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a private donation of several thousand dollars promised to us which did not pull through. I have generally been paying for these festivals out of my own pocket. We picked the wrong time of year - yes - but generally Edmonton would not support us with donations when it came to fundraising time. You can't advertise a festival without a venue or donations.

The fundraiser was held on a night where Edmonton had tornado warnings. Most of the people that we had contacted sent their regards but were going to stay inside for the evening. Our close friends and die-hard fans were the only ones that showed up and we definitely did not raise any funds at that event.

We are a bunch of horror fans trying to put on an event for a bunch of horror fans. We all work full time jobs and do this voluntarily on our own time without any form of payment. We've gotten no grants nor taken a penny from anyone unless we know we have a date and a venue.

Since you've had problems with us in the past, we would like to offer you a free festival pass to give us another try. Festival passholders are seated in our VIP skybox - so you WILL have a seat.

I have no idea where you have moved to - but come back to Edmonton and try us out for a night - at no charge to you.

The venue contract is signed this time and we have two people on the board that are considered to be some of the top minds in horror.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it back to Edmonton for much of the festival, but I certainly appreciate the offer. Like I said, I wish you guys the best of luck, as Exofest is a great concept. I do hope it works out for you, and that your past problems are behind you.

I just wish something had come together last year when I was available to help out. Oh well, if the lineup of films is as impressive as last year, and if the guests are intriguing, I may yet see if I can take in some of the fest, and if so, I certainly don't mind paying to support something worthwhile.

Your post came as a surprise, I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home