Thursday, November 11, 2004

remembrance day

Yes, November 11 is Remembrance Day. I always observed the moment of silence growing up, and yes, I was always happy for the day off.

I don't really know anyone else whose father actually served in World War II. My dad is 84 this year. He served in the Canadian Navy during the war. I remember finding out that he was claustrophobic as I was growing up. He didn't like doors to be closed behind him, and amusement park submarine rides were definitely among his least favourite things (although I do remember him taking me on at least one. Goes to show that thoug he hated it, he put up with it for me.) He did a lot for me, come to think of it, from the rides, to the movies (I'm sure he saw Star Wars about a dozen more times than he ever wanted to, and many other movies that were just plain bad), to driving all over the city looking for that one Star Wars vehicle or acton figure I just had to have at the time.

The only thing I can think of that he hated more than the enclosed spaces was the TV show Bewitched, and maybe I Dream of Jeannie. but that's another story. I digress.

So, where was I? Claustrophobic from the subs in the navy.

My dad just went into the hospital for assesment of several issues. I happened to be in Edmonton on the day he was admitted, so I went with my mom to give her a hand. I found out something that I never knew.

At least part of my dad's time in the navy was on a minesweeper. I knew that he was in the cook's department, and that he had the fear of enclosed spaces, and that he either assisted, pefrormed, or just watched, the piercing of sailor's ears with a piece of gut when the crossed the International Date Line while sailing, but I never knew anything else about his time there.

I found out that day that his minesweeper was not expected to come back.

That's a little jarring. "not expected to come back". Not expected to survive.

I'm glad he did. Otherwise, he would have never met my mom, or had me or my brothers and sisters.

Remembrance Day has a little more meaning for me this year knowing that.

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Marmalade Girl said...

My Dad wasn't a WWII vet but my uncle was. He lied about his age and joined up. I know he fought at Antwerp because the only thing that was ever mentioned by the family was "he almost married a Dutch girl" while over there.
I make it a point to buy a poppy for him and to thank the Legionaires for the wonderful funeral they gave my father who wasn't even a vet.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're fortunate. The only family member I know of who was in the war was my Granpa on my father's side. He died in WWII and that's all I know of it. I'll never find out how as my Grandma passed a couple of years ago. It gets worse as I found out then that he was not really my dad's dad and we will never find out who that really was. All in all Remembrance day is not a day I conciously try to remember certain things.

Next year I'll try and remember you and your dad. At least then there can be some honour in the day for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home