Monday, December 27, 2004

Tree up, tree down

In the midst of our little renovation projects, and the time spent away from hom before and after Christmas, we kind of decided that we wouldn't bother putting up our tree this year..the space to place it was occupied by a chair that we wanted to move into the room under renovation. Also hampering plans was the strange wooden post assembly in our living room that we are constantly stepping around. Finally, I removed the post (before and after pictures to follow), and I decided, damn it, I want the tree up. So, up it went on the 23rd, down it came today. That's a speed record for me, usually it's up the first week in December and down after New Year's Day.

We're off to Edmonton for New Year's, so we figured the tree should come down before we leave, as the cats would be the only ones here to enjoy it, and by that I mean get tangled in the lights and probably topple the whole thing.

It brightened my mood to have it up.

It was a strange Christmas for me this year. Nice, in the quiet aspect, just Allie, her mom and I, relieved of the pressure to get up in the morning, open gifts, then spend the rest of the day driving around and being everywhere BUT home until the end of the day, when we're usually so tired and stuffed full that we just crash.

But, it was the first Christmas I have ever spent away from the family. Sure, we saw them last week for the birthdays, and had we been there for the 25th, most of them were spending various parts of the day elsewhere, so we wouldn't have seen anyone anyhow, but still, the first one away from everybody is strange. Peaceful but sad at the same time.

We had a great day, though. Quiet, enjoyable, no lack of food and stuffing ourselves, ol' Santa was indeed very good to us (I guess he got our forwarding address and wasn't hampered by our lack of a fireplace).

The snow and colder weather has hit here, finally, and I think that's a factor in my mood. I don't think I have SAD or anything, but I defeinetly have been down during the cold and snow, especially last year, where the snow was heavy, the winter was cold, and it just never seemed to end. I keep telling Allie that if winter is bad, we'll be heading even farther south next year.

I'm also feeling the impatience of spinning my wheels, work-wise. I do have the goal of the BA, and possibly the technician gig at the Esplanade, but they both seem very far away right now. When I got here, unencumbered by employment, I said I'd write, draw, paint, create, and take up my time expressing all the things that I never had the ebergy to do when I was working, but one form of stress has replaced the other, and I have hardly done any of those things.

Hopefully, I can get my act together and do something before the real world catches up to me again.

Enough of this nonsense. New year, new beginnings, renewed drive. Make the best of the situation, use what I have to my advantage.

If I don't post again before the 31st, Happy New Year, kids.

4 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Michael Joyal said...

doode, in Regina. Sorry I didn't callya before. LOVED the shirt and Tickness. Merry Hoho and happy new year.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

Same here. We had a couple of guests for Xmas dinner and they kept on shaking their head in disbelief. "He was actually a wifebeater?!?!" they asked. Rob, you have one twisted imagination and the Jacks look great on the tree. Will snap a pic and send it to you :)

Happy hoho dude. Seek a parcel soon :)

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey guys, gald you liked the goodies, I was quite proud of them. Davey, will await yours anxiously, Mukey, thanks for the book and shirt..you were right, no one else gets it but I think its hilarious. Book is awesome, am chewing my way through it already.

Will talk to you guys soon...

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger who's this and the what now? said...

Hey Dude! I do sometimes update my bog, I got really busy and didn't do anything to it. I will try and do better. How was your xmas. I heard you were up for the xmas party at alex's place. I wish I could have made it. Would have been nice to see ya. Merry ho ho and Happy crappy new year! Doc:-)>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home