Friday, January 21, 2005

dream

OK, so this part is real. There generally isn't much to report on in the Medicine Hat paper. Two cars got vandalized last night...a truck overturned on the highway near Redcliff..you know, small town stuff.

Last week, there was an artical that "Starbucks comes to Medicine Hat". I know, whoop dee shit, but ths is Medicine Hat, so this is news. Actually, it isn't even quite true, the newly renovated college campus coffee shop now SERVES Starbucks Coffee (a Starbucks Rep even came all the way here and TRAINED them to do it). Again, this is news here.

So anyways, I have this dream that I wander into the Hat Starbucks and get my favorite, Caramel Machiatto (mmmmm). The price on the menu was $4.50..that sounds about right. So I get it, it has the lovely whipped topping and drizzle of caramel on top..the tall, fat, curly haired guy behind the counter looks at it, looks at the bottles of various syrups and shots he put in, and mumbles "OK, 4.50, and 1, and 1 and 1.50, and one..." and then turns to me ans says "That'll be..."..hesitating.."..how does $10.50 sound?"

I'm aghast, $10.50 for a coffee? I ask why, and am told that $4.50 is the base price of a plain coffee, and they charge separately fo each shot and additive. I buy it anyways, saying that it's ridiculous. On the way out, I tell another employee that it is ridiculous to charge that much, to kind of a dumbfounded expresson, basically saying "well, it IS Starbucks, and you DID buy it.." As I pass through the door leaving the store, I hesitate, thinking "This would be the time that they should offer me gift certficiates or something to appease me.." But it didn't happen. As I walk down the sidewalk with my admittedly yummy CM, I think "$10.50! Why did I buy it? A pund of ground coffee is only $6 or so..I should open up a real Starbucks here, this is a goldmine..these rednecks will buy anything". Sip..mmm.

So, though exaggerated a bit, how much is that like a real Starbucks experience? Even five bucks for a coffee is pretty stupid. But we do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home