Tuesday, January 18, 2005

here again

I had the strange feeling today, while heading off to do some shopping, that this was the first day after Christmas holidays. It wasn't, of course, it just felt that way. With the trip to Edmonton and back before Christmas, the trip to Edmonton and back after Christmas, and last weeks trip to (you guessed it) Edmonton and back for Allie's work-sponsored 3-day course, the last few weeks have been so blurred. I feel like we spent more time in the car than at home.

The animals have apparently had enough, and have requested that we stay home for awhile. Molly barfed at Allie's mom's, and again yesterday now that we're home. uzz walks around looking guilt-ridden, but that's par for the course. The cats were excdptionally bad, our friend Sam (who has gone above an beyond the cat-feeding-while-we-are-away department) saw many messes while looking after the crew this time, including a cup full of pens and pencils that hit the ground (and somehow, the cup didn't break), and a box of baking soda dumped from the cupboard onto the countertop...white powder everywhere! I guess it looked like Robert Downey Jr's house.

Adding to the odd feeling is the fact that I went to Calgary and back solo (day trip)while Alie was in her course. Before Christmas I had applied to the Banff Centre for a work study program in lighting for the stage. Sounded cool, getting paid a little bit while learning theatre lighting. The drag would be being away from home for three months or more, living in Banff while leaving Allie here dealing with the animals and suff, but she was (and is) so suportive..if it is something that would help me get experience that would make me a better candidate for a tech job at the Esplanade, she is all for it.

So, found out that I was getting an intrview while we'd be in Edmonton. I had asked for Calgary as an interview location, living in Medicine Hat and all, so it ended up being the same difference..I would have had to drive to Calgary either from the Hat or from Edmonton.

Made it to the interview, and found that (as I expected) the competition for the two available lighting spots is very competitive, and most applicants have more actual theatre experience than I do. However, my goals at the Esplanade and my varied AV experience still got me into the interview, and the artistic director said I may have a better chance at a more entry-level program in Theatre Craft II.

What this means is a better shot at it, and not going in too much over my head to start with, with the distinct drawback of no stipend. They pay all the program costs, meals and accomodation, but no money on top, which isn't so good for someone who's EI will be running out at about that time.

I haven't got it yet, but they said I may hear a decision sometime in February for the May start date. It would be great of I could find something that pays decent in the meantime, even if I hate it, just to get some cash in the bank. It would be a great learning opportunity. Oh well, as I say every time, I'll take it as it comes, and see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home