Wednesday, March 02, 2005

day 6 and home

Breakfast with the gang, TBIT off to work and we said our goodbyes. Got back to the apartment for just long enough to dry off from the wet snow, and off to the subway/bus combo to the airport. I figured if we got there early enough, I'd try for an ear;lier flight, and it worked. As it was, the earlier flight was still delayed by weather for 45 minutes, but still got in earlier than the original flight would have.

In fact, the original flight was delayed as well, so had I not thought to try the new flight, I wouldn't have gotten into calgary until at least 8:40 PM local time (as opposed to the 6:00 PM I managed.

Even so, it was 7:30PM before I got my bags, got the hotel shuttle, got the car, stopped at McDonalds for a quick bite, and hit the road for the Hat. If I had arrived any later, I would have been too tired to drive home that night, and it would have made it necessary for yet one more night in the ol' Super 8, and all I wanted was to get home. Worked out fine.

As it was, I was REALLY tired the last 45 minutes of the drive, right after the wretched stench of Brooks, Alberta (about and hour from the Hat).

Man, the putrid reek of the pastures and packing plants of Brooks are almost enough to make me turn vegetarian.

Had happy dogs, suprisingly happy cats, and not-so-surprisingly happy wife to see me as I pulled up. Good to get away, even better to get home.

TBIT and Marmy, thanks again so much for having me. I love visiting you guys, and I always leave a little bit sad that we can't do it more often. But hey, that's what gives it value, isn't it?

2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmm...... The smell of Lakeside Packers http://www.lakesidepackers.com/ bothered you while you are travelling down the highway? It's not the pastures!!! It is Lakeside and the "feedlots". At least you "travelled" through the "potty zone"... for the residents of Brooks, the obnoxious odor is an almost daily displeasure. I wonder if air quality is a concern in Brooks?

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm mm yum..man, anonymous comments drive me crazy. You could be anyone..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home