Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I so desperately wanted to see Sin City on opening night, but it wasn't to be. Nor in the first week, actually. I did, however, get to finally see it with someone that wanted to see it (Nathan) as opposed to the wifey, who would have begrudgingly gone with me.

I liked it, at first. I didn't love it, but I did like it. I'm not sure why, it was exactly the comic..maybe that is the problem. After all these years of "It's not the comic, it's a version of the comic, get over it!" said to fan boys who never like the movie versions of their favourite books, I think this illustrates that it doesn't always translate. I mean, it does, but it doesn't..know what I mean? That's why I said I liked it, but not loved it.

That being said, I have now seen it again (thanks to modern tehnology..how many poor stunt people lost their jobs because of me? I weep for the poor stunt people). I think now that the shock of seeing it has worn off, I like it a bit more than I initially did. I was the same way with Napoleon Dynamite.

Still, it was awesome to finally see live-action Marv. He was made to be live action, whether a direct translation like Sin City was, or "interpreted" into film. Needed to be done. Had he not died a few years ago, I would have loved to have seen Lenny MacLean (The Guv'nah) from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels as an older Marv. I have his autobiography, and have also seen the documentary he was in about bouncers, "Behind the Velvet Rope"..shitty doc about unlikeable people, but he was interesting, especially the acting aspirations he never was able to realize due to his dying of brain cancer. Oh Lenny, we hardly knew ye...Mickey Rourke did ya proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home