Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I'm thinking I was right, and that furnture sales in this environment is not for me.

What do you think of when you think "furniture sales in the Medicine Hat Co-op"? I think cheap, geared towrds older/working class folks.

Wrong. They actually have fairly high-end, expensive stuff. Not high-high end, but defintely compares with the Brick's higher end, and a few steps up from that. Now, place this in the Co-op mall, which has an older, retired client base, and I'm not seeing a lot of potential here. On my first six hour shift, I think the store sold one washer/dryer pair. That's it. I jumped in and tried to assist a few people, and got requests for cheap stuff, and a lot of "Wow, that's more than I'm prepared to pay." The location (cramped section of a dead mall) with flourescent lighting, doesn't match the products, which in turn, don't fit their walk-through clients. Add to that the fact that everything appears disorganized, and in one day, my training was haphazard to say the least, I'm not seeing a long-term stay here. Not at the low rate plus commission structure they have. I'd take a still-low, but stable hourly rate in a more comfortable environment in a heartbeat, but I'm prepared to wait, as the trip to Florida approaches, until after that trip is complete.

I'll hang in there unless something I can't resist falls into my lap, until July, anyways, and make the best of the experience.

Trust first impressions...trust instincts.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

ok, be prepared to give suggestions for people's rooms, highlight the qualities of the furniture, discover it is not as well built as stuff from IKEA, lie about the quality control, argue over sale prices ("but THAT is on sale, why isn't THIS???") and pretty much be expected to be a furniture expert. but amongst all things i have found that it is easier if you find out one thing you like about the items and focus on that. furniture usually sells itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home