Friday, May 20, 2005

Third day in at the Co-op, I guess it is going OK. Basically, the first day was a write off, and the actual training began yesterday, continuing today. Sales techniques and such. Again, not sure if it's for me, but I am giving it a try and we'll see what happens. I didn't want to go in yesterday..I was really in the "no customers will come in, and if they do, I won't be able to sell them anything yet, so why am I wasting my time?"

Now, I was right, there were no customers, but the learning process has begun. On the way there today, I realized that it is still better than sitting at home doing nothing. Actual interaction with other humans, allowing me to excercise my atrophying communications skills. I felt like I was soon about to revert back to grunting and pointing.

Oh yeah, I had Tuesday and Wednesday off. Wednesday, went to Calgary and had an evaluative eye exam, to see if I was a candidate for Lasik MD's "special pricing" for laser eye surgery, to be rid of the glasses once an for all. When I think of laser surgery, I always think of the old $2500 per eye that used to be the standard price. So when I heard about $490 per eye, I was intrigued anough to check it out. They did say that less than 20 percent of their patients qualify for that rate, and with my prescription and astigmatism, I was prepared for them to tell me that I didn't qualify at all.

As it turns out, I do qualify, my eyes are fine and healthy, I have small pupils and lots of corneal tissue, making me a good candidate. Not for $490 per eye, mind you, but for $890 per eye. Still cheaper than their standard price of $1200 per eye, but more than I was hoping for.

With a need for new glasses in the near future, I am still very tempted to go ahead and rack it up on the card, as I'm really getting sick of glasses and am very intigued by the possibility of not needing them anymore. I know all about the potential drawbacks, the risks, etc. that come with this or any other elective surgery. But man, I haven't spent shit on myself since we moved. I wanted a laptop, desperately, but resisted. I've made mortgage payments, bought groceries, and paid for tree removal. I know we have an expensive holiday coming up, but I can only dream of how nice it would be to not have to mess around with glasses for the first time while on a vacation. This would be something just for me. I want to do it.

Helll, if someone we know here in town can borrow $12,000 to have surgery to remove excess skin from losing 80 pounds, why should I feel bad for wanting to spend $890 on each eye?

2 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Michael Joyal said...

excess skin!! whooohoo!!!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger T. Destiny in Taiwan said...

Two things that are good in supply in Taiwan: Westerners who point and grunt (yours truly included!) and cheap laser eye surgery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home