Monday, February 26, 2007

In my current anti-winter funk, my attention is often turned to the travelling I want to do in the future, since it's not quite possible to do it now. I think and read about our upcoming trip to Scotland, our potential trip to California, future trips to fun and sun places like Florida and Las Vegas, not to mention places like Australia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Cuba and thanks to my friend Alex, I even want to see Portugal.

Of course, that doesn't include visiting friends and family throughout Canada.

As you can see..I have expensive travel tastes and an extensive list of demands.

Anyways, as I check things out online and read about things in these places I'd like to see and do, I came back to something I've always wanted to see.

Blue Man Group.

I am disappointed that now, 17 years or so after they debuted, that the three originals (I assume, anyways) don't actually do the shows anymore, but run the corporate juggernaut that the Blue Man Group has become. They have changed from a performance trio to an international troupe, with various Blue Men in various shows around the world.

Regardless, I still find their sense of humour great, and I want to see one or more of their shows in the worst way. I hope to see them in Vegas, but have also learned that they will have a show at Universal Studios in Orlando. I still love Florida for that theme park experience, though I would never, ever go in July again..mid June would be my cut-off date due to the weather. Anyways, I'd see them there if I could.

The best thing I read about them is their philosophy, and it is what makes the show work. I'm paraphrasing from various sources, here, but essentially:

-the Blue Men are outsiders to the rest of the world
-the reason why there are three Blue Men in each show is that three is the minimum number in which one member of a group could be considered an outsider, and invariably, one of the three ends up acting differently than the other two, and thus becomes the outsider in his own group
-the fact that they don't speak, or even have facial expressions. It is all done with the eyes
-everything is new to the Blue Man. The show is based on discovery and reaction.

I can't believe I didn't go to the touring show when they were here. I want to see them more than ever now.

1 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger c & d said...

you are cute...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home