Monday, March 05, 2007

A few months back, I happened across an episode of America's Test Kitchen on PBS, and it was all about teriyaki, one of my favourite things, and they had the exact same complaint I did, that there were so many variances in taste and consistency (glaze vs marinade).

So, they tested a bunch off the shelf, found them all lacking, and made their own.

I finally got around to trying it last night, and even though I didn't have the mirin (Japanese cooking wine) and subbed white wine and extra sugar instead..it is the best damn Teriyaki sauce I've ever had.

I really had no idea what the base flavours of teriyaki were. The fresh garlic and ginger really make the sauce, something I never would have expected.

Now, to experiment with different types of soya sauce and using real mirin.

Mmmmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home